Introduction | Research | People | Tools


photograph 272 kB


Sami Raninen
City of Raisio Cultural Affairs Department

During the Middle Ages a special feature in Ihala was the "castles mill" by Huhkonkoski rapids. The earliest written evidence of the mill that can be corroborated dates from 1463, though it is already mentioned since1405. It was a water-mill, owned by the Crown, where the tax-grain of peasants, collected in the Turku Castle, and harvest of royal manors were floured. Against a payment the peasants of Raisio could have their own grain floured there, too. Operating of the mill was apparently a duty of the farmers of Ihala, until a professional miller was established in the late 16th century. He lived in a miller´s croft near the mill.

The first miller known by name was called Urpo; he drowned in the rapids in 1589. The water-mill had two pairs of grinding stones. It was in use mainly during the spring and autumn, when the water was high. In 1590, another smaller water-mill was built in the place. Afterwards the mills apparently decayed, for in 1632, threatening with punishment, the general-governor of Finland had to order the peasants to bring building materials for their repair.

During the 17th century the mill was not used as much as earlier, because the shore displacement had caused the river to become shallower and grain could not be transported by boat anymore. There was a road leading to the mill, but it was often in a poor condition. In 1680 a severe spring-time flood ruined the mill, which was not repaired for years. Later it was brought to private ownership. It was rebuilt bigger than before, for in 1725 there were four pairs of grinding-stones in it. A map from that year shows the situation of the mill and miller´s croft

Huhkonkoski mill retained its importance for a long time. In the late 19th century it was used so intensely that wind-mill were becoming to be left out of use in Raisio. In the 20th century a wood-mill was added there. During the 1950´s the mill was finally demolished as a new highway running over its place was built.

Email: <>.

Introduction | Research | People | Tools